Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Elitedawgs has fired Lemon 3 times this season, pearl-clutched over RPI

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Just win, things always work out.
    I'm with Base. I know I'm old and hard for me to understand all the new fangled computer rankings and such. Just win!

Get off my lawn!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Nobody cares about our "ELO ranking" is. I just made up my own QK ranking and put us at #1, and it will mean just as much.

I can't guarantee anything the committee will decide, but it would be very out-of-character for them to give us a hosting bid if we finish 17-13 and an RPI around 25. There's no reason to expect that.
    ELO is a valid metric that they're using this year. But go off

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    and whined about us falling into the depths of SEC baseball hell.....

Yet here we are at 14-9 in the SEC- currently 1.5 games behind the #1 team in the country in conference, about to be ranked inside the Top 15 in the country and sporting a 17 RPI.

That's Baseball!!
    lol ... keep bringing it Coach 🍻
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    ELO is a valid metric that they're using this year. But go off
    Is it? I dont see any source confirming that. I did see where the selection committee will be provided the KPI rankings, but not as a replacement for RPI. I don't see any news story about the committee using Elo ratings this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I'm with Base. I know I'm old and hard for me to understand all the new fangled computer rankings and such. Just win!

Get off my lawn!
    I don't understand or get this RPI stuff. Announcers were talking about some Sec schools and how good their RPI looked. If u look at Ole Dixie, Lsu, Florida and Bama, no way two and maybe 3 of those teams should have high RPI in my opinion. Take Florida they are one game over .500, they have been getting beat, same with those others with bad Sec records. Why do teams get rewarded when they lose? I don't care who they play.
    Oh I know what many are saying, Sec is best conference, I agree but still listening to announcers saying a 10-14 sec with good RPI looks good? Bull I say! I also don't think 13 wins in Sec should get a team in tourney. I see 9 teams, but it's just my opinion.

vCash
    Base- Mississippi was the last team to make the Tourney in 2022- and they won it. Their RPI got them in

RPI is their mane metric now
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Base- Mississippi was the last team to make the Tourney in 2022- and they won it

I understand, I just don’t like the rpi thingy. The eye test tells me neither ole Dixie or LSU deserve to be in 64. But the Sec is the difference.
    I actually don’t think neither will make it. Neither should Florida with 24-23 record. Bama has a better chance I think than those 3.

vCash
    I understand, I just don’t like the rpi thingy. The eye test tells me neither ole Dixie or LSU deserve to be in 64. But the Sec is the difference.
    I actually don’t think neither will make it. Neither should Florida with 24-23 record. Bama has a better chance I think than those 3.
    Shit Base- u talking Bama not making the Tourney??? They are a borderline Host now. They will 100% be in the Tourney

vCash
    Base- Mississippi was the last team to make the Tourney in 2022- and they won it. Their RPI got them in

It's not end all be all. Auburn hosted last year with a RPI of 29 and 17 wins.

Our RPI right now is 18. They're also rumored to be going to use a new metric this year that we rank much higher in than we do in RPI.

vCash
    Exactly. Polk is the Underachiever of all time
    MSU has won 11 SEC titles, but only 1 since 1989. That was 2016.

(1) Polk 1.0 won 4 SECs , No NC, 21 seasons, only 1 SEC title after 1980.
    (2) Polk 2.0 won 0 SECs, No NC, One Omaha, 6 horror seasons and 1 lucky season

Polk 1.0 for National Championships had a very shitty regional format in the 70s and early 80s. USC and Arizona State could make Omaha every year just beating schools like Air Force, Hawaii, and Portland State. MSU had to win the SEC, just to make a regional. Today an 11th place SEC school can make a regional. In the 70s, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Orleans, Florida State, and Miami could make regionals as Indy Programs nearly every year. SEC seems to have one or two teams per year. There was even a dedicated regional for a Big 10 and Northeast Schools, so Ohio State and St John's could make Omaha. Total shit for SEC programs. For the youngsters, Arkansas and South Carolina are not real SEC schools. They were a mistake from the mid-90s. Should have added Duke and North Carolina or Florida State and Texas.

Also during Polk 1.0, seems Polk let LSU and Bertman surpass MSU on his watch, man had no eye for threats. LSU before 1976, had no baseball pedigree. LSU had 0 SEC championships, 1 Regional, and never been to Omaha. He let the drug dealers and Juicers in Baton Rouge build a juggernaut. By the 1990s, we had Jon Harden pitching lob-balls to Lyle Mouton and other Steroid Kids at LSU. MSU was the 100% underdog.

To me, Polk 2.0 destroyed his legacy. Bianco drank his milkshake and USM became ok via feasting on MSU's odd ball recruiting. The SEC all caught up with MSU by Polk 2. If not for Greg Byrne, Ron Polk was trying to install Tommy Raffo as HC. Had this happened, MSU baseball would be a zombie program today. It took Cohen 5 years to bring things back to life.

Also Polk had his crazy camp oriented recruiting. Cal State Fullerton and Miami probably scouted their regional elite teams. Took players from local mid majors, because it was allowed by the rules. Seems our boy Polk probably wanted to be Mr College Baseball, executive of coach committees, and coach team USA more than winning titles for MSU. Why the hell was he sending hand typed birthday and get-well letters to other people's players, who has that kind of time? 50% of grandparents won't do that. Finally, the man retired but there rumors that he micromanaged Pat McMahon and made him want to leave. Does not make sense that after 20 years at MSU, McMahon suddenly longed for Florida.

Sounds like I hate Polk, I don't, just agreeing that Polk inherited a leading program in the SEC and left it in last place by 2009.
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 05-05-2024 at 10:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    It's not end all be all. Auburn hosted last year with a RPI of 29 and 17 wins.

Our RPI right now is 18. They're also rumored to be going to use a new metric this year that we rank much higher in than we do in RPI.
    Last year, Auburn's RPI was 15 at the end of the regular season and fell to 19 by the end of the SEC Tournament. It didn't fall to 29 until after they went 0-2 in their regional. Honestly, these RPI archive sites shouldn't keep calculating RPI after the NCAA Tournament starts, since RPI is only a tool for ranking teams for the purpose of NCAA Tournament selection and seeding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    MSU has won 11 SEC titles, but only 1 since 1989. That was 2016.

(1) Polk 1.0 won 4 SECs , No NC, 21 seasons, only 1 SEC title after 1980.
    (2) Polk 2.0 won 0 SECs, No NC, One Omaha, 6 horror seasons and 1 lucky season

Polk 1.0 for National Championships had a very shitty regional format in the 70s and early 80s. USC and Arizona State could make Omaha every year just beating schools like Air Force, Hawaii, and Portland State. MSU had to win the SEC, just to make a regional. Today an 11th place SEC school can make a regional. In the 70s, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Orleans, Florida State, and Miami could make regionals as Indy Programs nearly every year. SEC seems to have one or two teams per year. There was even a dedicated regional for a Big 10 and Northeast Schools, so Ohio State and St John's could make Omaha. Total shit for SEC programs. For the youngsters, Arkansas and South Carolina are not real SEC schools. They were a mistake from the mid-90s. Should have added Duke and North Carolina or Florida State and Texas.

Also during Polk 1.0, seems Polk let LSU and Bertman surpass MSU on his watch, man had no eye for threats. LSU before 1976, had no baseball pedigree. LSU had 0 SEC championships, 1 Regional, and never been to Omaha. He let the drug dealers and Juicers in Baton Rouge build a juggernaut. By the 1990s, we had Jon Harden pitching lob-balls to Lyle Mouton and other Steroid Kids at LSU. MSU was the 100% underdog.

To me, Polk 2.0 destroyed his legacy. Bianco drank his milkshake and USM became ok via feasting on MSU's odd ball recruiting. The SEC all caught up with MSU by Polk 2. If not for Greg Byrne, Ron Polk was trying to install Tommy Raffo as HC. Had this happened, MSU baseball would be a zombie program today. It took Cohen 5 years to bring things back to life.

Also Polk had his crazy camp oriented recruiting. Cal State Fullerton and Miami probably scouted their regional elite teams. Took players from local mid majors, because it was allowed by the rules. Seems our boy Polk probably wanted to be Mr College Baseball, executive of coach committees, and coach team USA more than winning titles for MSU. Why the hell was he sending hand typed birthday and get-well letters to other people's players, who has that kind of time? 50% of grandparents won't do that. Finally, the man retired but there rumors that he micromanaged Pat McMahon and made him want to leave. Does not make sense that after 20 years at MSU, McMahon suddenly longed for Florida.

Sounds like I hate Polk, I don't, just agreeing that Polk inherited a leading program in the SEC and left it in last place by 2009.
    Well said.

vCash
    Here's the thing about Polk and the 80's. The SEC wasn't what it was today in the 80's. State and LSU became relevant to at the same time but we were ahead of LSU by a few years.

NO SEC team had ever won a NC until Georgia did it in 1990. I imagine that if we built a time machine and kidnapped 1979 Ron Polk in his early prime and made him our head coach today there is no question in my mind that peak Ron Polk would have won National Championships in today's environment.

We didn't even win our first game in Omaha until 1979. And really I'm not sure that a NC was a realistic goal for our program until 1984-1985. Things really began to shift to the SEC in the 1990's but it didn't really completely take over until around 2010 when South Carolina was winning NC's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Last year, Auburn's RPI was 15 at the end of the regular season and fell to 19 by the end of the SEC Tournament. It didn't fall to 29 until after they went 0-2 in their regional. Honestly, these RPI archive sites shouldn't keep calculating RPI after the NCAA Tournament starts, since RPI is only a tool for ranking teams for the purpose of NCAA Tournament selection and seeding.
    Fair enough but as it is our RPI is well within range of what it needs to be.

vCash
    Shit Base- u talking Bama not making the Tourney??? They are a borderline Host now. They will 100% be in the Tourney
    I said they have the best chance, not sure who they have left on schedule, they are a good hitting team, not sure their pitching can hold up.

vCash
    I said they have the best chance, not sure who they have left on schedule, they are a good hitting team, not sure their pitching can hold up.
    They are certainly a flawed team but most of us are.

vCash
    They are certainly a flawed team but most of us are.
    I read about there Coach, seems to be a good hire.