Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High School Baseball recruiting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    vCash

High School Baseball recruiting

Sumrall and Purvis are playing for the MHSAA South 4A championship. I know we have a commit from JoJo Parker from Purvis. Are there any other d1 recruits on either of these teams?

vCash
    Parker's twin brother is committed to MSU.

Sumrall I think has a pitcher committed to Ole Miss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Parker's twin brother is committed to MSU.

Sumrall I think has a pitcher committed to Ole Miss.
    Yes. Leo Odom.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Yes. Leo Odom.
    Funny thing about Leo. I've known his dad for years, he played at West Jones. Leo should've been at fcahs but somehow wound up at sumrall,lol(for folks that don't know sumrall has "recruited" for years). We had a catcher from west jones several years ago, that somehow wound up going to sumrall, because we were changing coaches and his pops didn't think we'd be any good. Allowed my son to step in and start as a freshman and start all 4 years and we wound up winning a state championship and the best sumrall could ever do when that kid was there was runnerup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Funny thing about Leo. I've known his dad for years, he played at West Jones. Leo should've been at fcahs but somehow wound up at sumrall,lol(for folks that don't know sumrall has "recruited" for years). We had a catcher from west jones several years ago, that somehow wound up going to sumrall, because we were changing coaches and his pops didn't think we'd be any good. Allowed my son to step in and start as a freshman and start all 4 years and we wound up winning a state championship and the best sumrall could ever do when that kid was there was runnerup.
    My favorite Sumrall baseball story was when they were going undefeated and claimed that then 6A champ Madison Central was scared to play them.

So, Madison Central scheduled them and beat the crap out of them. LOL.

Moral of the story- don't tug on Superman's cape.

vCash
    Drives me crazy these schools that recruit.

I was pulling for West Jones in 6A this year. I'm a big fan of Camden Clark. D1 pitcher material after Juco.

vCash
    My son's school (Briarcrest) has a player that has signed, Jack Gleason. Great kid! But they also have a left-handed sophomore pitcher named Phinn Waters that I think is going to be a MAJOR prospect. It's my understanding State is already on him pretty good, along with many other SEC schools.

vCash

I was pulling for West Jones in 6A this year. I'm a big fan of Camden Clark. D1 pitcher material after Juco.
    Richardson at South isn't bad either. Also from that area I watched Moffett from Taylorsville throw this weekend for LSU. He ate A&M up! He's got three pitches now and is going to be legit next season. Topped out at 98 with some really wild run and a nasty slider.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Richardson at South isn't bad either. Also from that area I watched Moffett from Taylorsville throw this weekend for LSU. He ate A&M up! He's got three pitches now and is going to be legit next season. Topped out at 98 with some really wild run and a nasty slider.
    Moffett is a good one, I've watched him since he was 9, he's very legit. Richardson and Causey at South and Clark and Rayborn from West aren't bad either.

vCash

My son trains Cam. If he adds some maturity he could be really good.

West couldn't hit a lick this year. I knew early on they wouldn't make a deep run.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    My favorite Sumrall baseball story was when they were going undefeated and claimed that then 6A champ Madison Central was scared to play them.

So, Madison Central scheduled them and beat the crap out of them. LOL.

Moral of the story- don't tug on Superman's cape.
    lol! Last game my son played at West his senior before Covid shut the season down was against Sumrall. He hit a walkoff for his last ab as a West Jones Mustang.

vCash
    lol! Last game my son played at West his senior before Covid shut the season down was against Sumrall. He hit a walkoff for his last ab as a West Jones Mustang.
    That is an awesome way to go out!

vCash
    CC what are your thoughts about the Griffin kid from Prep? He's been THE name in high school baseball for two years. I didn't watch him this year because Magnolia Heights didn't play Prep, Prep didn't want to travel, but the other games I've watched of him I just have never seen the far and away no. 1 HS player in America.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    CC what are your thoughts about the Griffin kid from Prep? He's been THE name in high school baseball for two years. I didn't watch him this year because Magnolia Heights didn't play Prep, Prep didn't want to travel, but the other games I've watched of him I just have never seen the far and away no. 1 HS player in America.
    He'll go in the top 10 picks, but I don't see him as far and away the #1 in America. The kid is really good and has a chance to be special, but folks(I've seen and read the same about him)saying he's far and away the #1, i don't buy.

vCash
    He'll go in the top 10 picks, but I don't see him as far and away the #1 in America. The kid is really good and has a chance to be special, but folks(I've seen and read the same about him)saying he's far and away the #1, i don't buy.
    Same. And maybe I'm basing it on the competition he's playing as well. Because even Rookie ball is going to be 10-12 steps up from MAIS. But I haven't seen the kid play outside of school ball so he could raise his game on the travel ball circuit.

vCash
    He's arguably got the most up side of any highschooler in the county. He has every tool you would want. Extremely projectable. There are some kids that are probably more polished at a certain position or as a pitcher in highschool but Konnor has the tools to be an upper 90s arm off the bump, can hit for average/power and can run exceptionally well for his size/physicality.

I don't believe there is another highschool guy out there as versatile as he can be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    He's a first round kid but he's not the best in the country

Banned
    vCash
    What are the chances he sticks with LSU and goes to college?

vCash
    All the scouts say the 2024 class is really down. One of the weakest drafts in a long time.

I like Konnor as an OF in the pros but it will come down to his ability to hit high level pitching. If he can't, he can fall back on his pitching ability. Great tools and makeup.

vCash
    All the scouts say the 2024 class is really down. One of the weakest drafts in a long time.

I like Konnor as an OF in the pros but it will come down to his ability to hit high level pitching. If he can't, he can fall back on his pitching ability. Great tools and makeup.
    There's no doubt he's a high end talent and he's gonna become very wealthy, very soon. HS kids are becoming more of a crapshoot. He's very similar to Jacoby Jones(he did go to lsu first) to me. If you compare the way they play and tools they're very close comps and while Jones has had a solid mlb career he's never become a star.